Sent: February 28, 2009 5:50 PM
Subject: Lisa and Greg Unleashed
For the first time in three-and-a-half years, Lisa and I had an extended vacation without the kids. We went with two other couples for eight days in the Bahamas, and we’ve got loads of vacation photos to share (I can practically hear your excitement crackling through the interwebs). A tortuously long printer-friendly version is also provided for your consideration.
But first, let’s consider the bullet-point antics of Jack and Cate:
- Jack informed me that he has an “arch enemy.” He then showed me her photo
- At dinner, Cate announced she wants to be a horse trainer or a vet
- That same evening, Jack announced he wants to join the Navy. I told him to ask Mr. Dan (Atwood) about it the next time we see him
- Me (to Cate coming out of the shower): “C’mon!” Cate (having a joke at my expense): “C’mon! It’s a $5,000 suit!”
- It’s happened. Deep down I knew it was coming. But so soon? Cate was singing Britney Spear’s Womanizer to herself tonight
- Jack’s comments on wearing two down vests: “I’m feelin’ pretty bullet-proof right now.” I typically say that for completely different reasons
- When the weather is changing, it’s common for both Lisa and me to compare headaches. As a general rule, I declare that my headache is clearly worse. When Cate sneezed tonight, Lisa commented that Jack, Cate and I are all suffering from colds. Without hesitating, Cate declared “Yes, but mine is the worst.”
- It took sixty-six years, but Grandma Irene finally drank a beer in front of Great-Grandma Ruth. Here’s to moderate drinking!
- Lisa has been teaching Sunday School to the five and six year-olds this year, and I’ve been her class assistant. One Sunday, we told the story of the Good Samaritan, and we asked what they did to be good. Tyler eagerly answered: “Not burning the church down.” I’m telling you, that’s real progress
- Earlier this month, we celebrated two 40th birthday parties on the same night. At AJs, someone had the temerity to seriously over-serve us margaritas. At Elizabeth’s, Lisa decided a Fuzzy Navel wine cooler would make the perfect nightcap. Since she’s on the congregation council, Lisa had to take one for the team and attend the congregation meeting the following day
- I’m sure there are lots of people who drink beer while using Wii Fit.
- Lisa, just before our adults-only trip to the Bahamas: “You’ll miss me next week when you don’t have me to kick around.” Cate: “Yeah, but you’ll be kickin’ back!” Unrelated: she’s seven
That’s it for now!
Lisa and Greg