Sent: May 31, 2009 9:51 PM
Subject: The Nelsongang Is Not Bankrupt
As the financial and automotive industries implode around us, I want to reassure our reader that we are not bankrupt. At least not in the financial sense of the word.
Freshly reassured, please relax and enjoy your monthly quota of delightful bullet-points, amusing quotes, wacky antics, and almost-nearly priceless photographs (including the less-nearly priceless printer-friendly version):
- Cole, wearing one sandal, knocked on our door before school and asked: “Do you have any of my shoes?” Yes. Yes, we do.
- We overheard Jack and Cate in the living room: ♫ “I like big butts, and I cannot lie.” ♫ Note: they’re seven.
- We’ve had a thunder and lightning breakthrough. We drove to Nickel Mania in a downpour to meet Jim and Olivia Cook — despite the heavy rain, lightening, and thunder, both Jack and Cate fell soundly asleep on the way. Even running from the car to Nickel Mania, neither seemed particularly phased
- Just a few days later, it rained and thundered throughout the night, but we didn’t receive any nocturnal visitors. Both Jack and Cate slept through everything
- The kids found Lisa’s copy of Have a New Kid by Friday, and they both anxiously quizzed her on exactly why she needed such a book and why she needed new kids. They then hid the book under a bed
- Dr. Bergman asked Jack what he’d made at school for Mother’s Day. Suppressing a smile, Jack replied: “That’s classified information.”
- Jack watching Lisa and Cate share a smoothie: “Have you heard of Swine Flu?!?”
- On the way to Blue Goose for Mother’s Day, we quizzed the kids on basic math facts. Realizing that her addition-facts were well memorized, I asked, “What’s nine minus five?” Frustrated by the change of topic, Cate replied: “Nine minus five?!? Who cares?!?”
- Jack at Pho Que Huong: “Chicken is made out of chicken. That’s why it’s called chicken.”
- Jack is in a phase in which he claims to know just about everything:
Us: People don’t get false teeth as often as they did for Grandma Ruth’s generation.
Jack: I know. Now they get dentures.
Us: Dentures and false teeth are the same thing.
Jack: I know.
Us: Wait a minute. That doesn’t make any sense. What do you think is the difference between false teeth and dentures?
Jack: They don’t have springs???
- I’m slowly making Cate crazy by expurgating the lyrics to Cake’s song, Comanche:
You need to straighten your posture and suck in your gut
You need to pull back your shoulders and tighten your
- We heard Jack randomly explain that “derrière is French”
- It’s happened. Cate voted for a contestant on the American Idol. The young one, with a big voice, and a haircut I could never pull off. Yeah, that one
- Hearing the PBS theme music at the start of the NewsHour, Cate squealed: “Nova music!” That’s my girl…
- When I chided Lisa for having a banana peel in her car’s cup holder, she explained (somewhat exasperated): “that’s from yesterday.” Uhhhhhhh… that’s much worse.
That’s it for now!
Lisa and Greg