Sent: December 30, 2009 5:35 PM
Subject: Mr. and Miss Wizard
It's all science all the time for the Nelsongang this month. Both Cate and Jack were recognized in the Lakewood Elementary third-grade Science Fair, but we're trying hard not to let it go to our collective heads. After scoring two of the six awards, we've officially nicknamed them Mr. and Miss Wizard. Okay, I think we're letting it go to our collective heads.
For all the scientific details, refer to this month's photos (alternatively, you can review the less scientific printer-friendly version). In addition, we offer a choice selection of this month's other shenanigans:
- The kids have written a new Christmas carol destined to be a classic: "I Reject Your Reality and Substitute My Own" (tune: Deck the Halls)
- Lisa bought Jack a pair of footie pajamas. And he seems to really like them. Please send help
- In costume before the Christmas program at church, Cate jumped out from behind the counter at Paul Kruger. She explained: "That's what happens when sheep go bad."
- Cate before bed:
♫ You better watch out, you better not cry ♫
♫ You better not pout, I'm tellin' you why ♫
♫ Nobody is coming to town ♫
She's eight and jaded
- Discussing her school day, Cate complained that her project partner was rushing her, but "Mattie stuck up for me because I'm small, cute and defenseless." Uh-huh...
- Jack was sick from school but wanted to play with a friend in the afternoon. I said no. Jack was distressed: "Why not? I feel better now and it's after school!"
- Overheard: "My muffin-top has turned into a bundt cake." Great line -- feel free to steal it
- Jack on Christmas Eve: "A lot of a church service is wasted on the sermon."
- It's now three against one. The kids know how to turn up the thermostat.
- I found the best way to ensure the kids cheer "correctly:" "You can stay up as long as the Vikings' offense remains on the field."
- Cole showed up at our door this morning in a polo shirt, shorts, and bare feet. It's 40°. And sprinkling
That's it for now!
Lisa and Greg