Sent: August 29, 2008 10:59 PM
Subject: In All Seriousness
Over the years, I know I’ve made my share of somewhat sophomoric and borderline tasteless jokes on the website, but I realize it’s time to take things a little more seriously in this forum. The kids are now fluent readers and they’re fully aware of their photos and stories being posted on the site, and I want to ensure everything that graces these pages reflects our collective Nelsongang dignity.
And before I forget, you can also feel free to visit our printer-friendly underpants. In the meantime, here are this month’s bullet points:
- Cate got out of bed to tell me: “I have a play-date tomorrow, so I really need to sleep well.” Duly noted — now get yourself in bed
- Steve Carlson visited Dallas for a few days, and a bunch of friends got together for drinks and dinner at La Duni. Jack and Cate were the only kids, but they were unbelievably well behaved. As Jack crawled into bed at nearly 11 PM, he told me: “Me and Mr. Steve had a good two-hour talk.”
- The next morning Steve twittered me: “Missed my run this morning, was too exhausted from night before from a case of the Jack (Nelson) Attack”
- Cate (mildly upset): “Don’t hit me with my Croc.” Jack (mildly indignant): “I barely hit you…”
- While I was in Houston four a couple of nights, both Cate and Jack wanted to sleep with Lisa — she politely refused to sleep three-to-a-bed. Sagely, Cate suggested that Jack sleep with Lisa the first night and she would sleep with Lisa the second night, and that’s exactly what they did
- Cate was yacking about something from the backseat of the car when Jack exclaimed: “Oh, spare me!” They both burst into laughter. After a moment, Cate discovered what was so funny: “Hey! You’re mimicking Mommy!”
- As I mowed the yard one Saturday morning, Cate stepped through the front door, rubbed her arms a bit, and asked: “Aren’t you cold outside?” It was 72 degrees. Yes, Lisa, they’re native Texans
- On the 19th, Jack had his first sleep-over with his friend Thomas Botch. Unlike Cate’s first slumber party, Mom was perfectly comfortable sending him on his way…
- If she brushed teeth, went potty, and put on jammies without complaining, I told Cate I’d give her 3 spankings. It keeps her guessing.
- Lisa helped Jack build a jump ramp one morning. I think the neighbors had an over-under on the number of minutes before someone got hurt and they set odds on who it would be
- While we waited for our table at Matt’s, Cate pointed to the television which was showing a tennis match and said: “Look! Grandpa should be here!”
- Shower-time and Jack was doing the robot to Cud. In all human history, I’m pretty sure that sentence has never been written before now
- Not to be outdone by Jack’s shower-dancing, Cate unveiled her (now patented) “scrubby dance” while accompanied by The Jayhawks
- Following an NPR story on Barrack Obama’s acceptance speech, Jack and Cate discussed his proposed tax policy (you can’t make this up). Cate excitedly told Jack: “Obama will cut the tax price by 95%! Isn’t that awesome?!?”
- I mistakenly put on Shadow Stabbing in the car. Fighting tears, Cate told me: “But I wanted Meanwhile Rick James…!”
That’s it for now!
Lisa and Greg