Sent: October 31, 2008 11:31 PM
Subject: New and Improved Nelsongang: Now Flu-Free!
It’s been a quiet month near Lake White Rock, my hometown, out on the edge of Dallas. So quiet, in fact, that I apparently neglected my camera for most of the past month. I now offer my deepest, humblest, sincerest, and most abject apology.
Despite the dearth of photographs, we have still persevered with the consistently humble printer-friendly version. Enjoy!
- Early this month, Cate reviewed her dolls and chose to donate some to Good Will. Jack kept one from the discard pile saying he “needed a crash test dummy”
- The kids poured water onto an ant pile and then stepped on the ants. Justifying their butchery, they explained that the ants were Republicans and they were Democrats. You seriously can’t make this up
- I received an urgent call from school — Jack didn’t have his money for Picture Day. I rushed to the scene, and I found it was cunningly hidden in his take-home folder
- We spent the middle of the month in an epic struggle against the flu. I got it first, but Lisa and Cate soon followed and we spent a long weekend stuck in bed
- On the first night she was sick, I lay on the couch with Cate for several hours during the night. She was watching Dog Whisperer and trying mightily not to throw-up. Occasionally, she would ask me to confirm that we’d go to the State Fair in the morning
- When Cate threw-up for the second time, she explained to me that “God follows me when I’m sick and I follow him when I’m well.”
- Jack was an absolute trooper throughout our illness. Even Cate told me that Jack was being really helpful to her
- In illness-induced talkativeness, Cate announced that two boys have crushes on her: Ethan from her class and three-year-old Simon from across the street
- In yet another example of my work interfering with my personal life, Lisa and I missed the Weezer show because I was in Houston on business
- We’ve recently been working with some addition flash cards with the kids. The low-point? 3 + 5 = 20
That’s it for now!
Lisa and Greg